Monday, June 4, 2007

1 Year, 1 Day and 8 Toes Later


June 3, 2006

Well, last year at this time I had just gott'n home from the hospital where I had most of two toes amputated. It is an odd story about the backyard, my toes and an old lawn mower. Yep, you got it, the doctors only finished what the lawn mower started.

Some how I managed to get my foot up under the mower base when the handle broke and gave way. Trying to catch my balance my foot got whacked. Now if you are thinking, "Dork, don't mow in your bare feet" know that I wasn't. I was wearing leather boots that had a pretty sizable soul on them. However, these boots were no match for a mower, even one with a dull blade.

So, a year later...I still wince when I think about it all. My foot still hurts when I bump it. I get shooting pains that stop me in my tracks.

But, I can still run and walk undetectably normal. My life was never in danger nor has it changed at all. I am hoping to play some Ultimate Frisbee or football this summer to really try it out.

So know you know why this blog is called, "eight is enough."

If you want to read a truly heroic story about missing limbs read Tarver's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. "Happy" toeniversary! John recently had his own toe issues, too, and for a while we thought he might lose a toe and join your club. Alas, not yet. ;)

Anonymous said...

oh man, that's quite the pic. can't believe it's been a year already!