Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How the church reacts...part 3

I read an article a few weeks back that has got me thinking. In the article the author points out several difference streams of the emerging church. After reading these I opened up the question a little more and asked, “ How do churches address the issues of cultural change?” The first answer to this question is easy: they deny or ignore it. From there I think it is safe to make a few classifications.

Theological Changes: “Remove that which may offend.”

· The experience caused by interacting with Scripture is to be valued above the veracity of the text.

· Difficult or uncomfortable doctrines are spiritualized, allegorized or ignored.
o The atonement- it is cruel of God to punish Jesus for something he did not do.
o Hell is not literal, but metaphorical.
o Truth is relative to one’s interpretive community. (“The incredulity of the meta-narrative.”)
o Homosexuality- the Bible is just out dated.

· Jesus is viewed as important, even central, but one can still be a “Christian” without submitting to Jesus.

· Society determines the way people should think about current issues, instead of the Bible informing society about current issues.

· An apologetic of action is better then an apologetic arguments.

· The burden of proof is on Christian theology to answer life’s question.
o Where did I come from? Macro-evolution
o Who am I? A computer made out of meat.
o Why am I here? Nihilism
o What happens after I die? Nothing

· Science is master, theology is servant.

“It is better to be kind, than right.”

No comments: