Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A House of Worship

Psalm 84:1-2 How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

After meeting with some friends for a birthday lunch (not mine), I went into a local house of worship.

From the moment you step on the grounds you can tell that this place was meant to be sacred.

What I enjoined about my short visit most was the need to worship that was stirred in me. All around me were vibrant colors, beautiful sites, amazing smells and sounds intended to created a space to meet with the divine. Some parts were cold, others comfortably warm and mostly silent. There was architecture to marvel at, holy books to admire and icons to draw your attention.

As I stood looking around I reflected on my own church tradition, mostly Baptist. Mostly plain, white bread, very non-charismatic, frozen chosen Baptist. Rarely did we have color, other then basic stained glass, brown wood or orange pews. Never any smells, unless it was from the potluck in the fellowship hall across the way. Although, usually there was a cross to look at.

Today in this house of worship, I wanted to worship. Honestly, at this point in my life, today was a day I needed to worship. I needed to worship in a place that calls me to meet with God. A place that is a match maker between God and myself. I longed to meet with God in an environment suited to the occasion and one that facilitated our meeting.

I felt empty leaving, knowing I had not worshiped and could not worship in this place. Regretful I had not met with God. But most of all, I was sad admitting I had no space inviting me to converse with the Almighty.

It was strange to have these feelings today. It was stranger experiencing them in a Buddhist temple.

No comments: