Saturday, March 22, 2008

Good Friday Readings

Last night The Evergreen Community had its Good Friday Gathering. For the gathering we had several people write a reading based on the last seven words of Christ from the cross. I was amazed at the readings! They are wonderful, diverse and insightful. Here they are.

#1 Jubilee Williamson
Scripture: Luke 23:13-25, 32-35


Stripped of all worldly dignity we three hung together,
each on his own splintered wood.
He in the middle,
He in between,
He the intermediary
calling to the Unseen:

Father forgive them for they know not what they do

He was to be a part of the forgotten-
a mere name in the scrolls of history.

I was part of the forgotten-
the illness of society.
Yet with the soured breath
of a dying man, I asked to be with Him
in the Eternal After

Broken and despised, we three hung together
welcoming the rest that certain death would bring
He in the middle
He in between
He the intermediary
giving Himself to the Unseen

Here now, we watch and wait for the Return


#2 Aaron Smith
Scripture: Matthew 27:39-47


My God, my God
Why have you forsaken me?
My God my God
I call to you but find no relief

My God my God
The jeering tongues lash at my cheeks
My God my God
You’ve saved others; can you deliver me?

My God my God
even as darkness comes to a close
My God my God
These beasts surround to feast on my bones

My God my God
These people think I call a prophet to come,
But God my God
Have you forgotten that I am your son?

My God my God
Why do you keep yourself far away
My God my God
I am curse and waiting away

My God my God
This heart has turned to wax in my chest
My God my God
You lay me down in the dust of death

My God my God
Why have your forsaken me?


#3 Paul Simon
Scripture John: 19:20-27


Even in pain,
In the last moments of life,
Jesus was love.

In every way Jesus led,
He was our example.
He never failed to put others first.

While being tortured and crucified,
He looked from the cross to see Mary, his mother.
He always cared for others,
He now looked to make sure she is cared for.

“Dear women, here is your son”
“Here is your mother.”
This is love personified.

Sadly, it’s hard to image a world where everyone carries that much love with them.
But we are called to do so.
To pass along a love for others that shows through the worst of pain.

As Jesus is our example, this is our worship


#4 Sarah
Scripture: Luke 23:43


We are all criminals,
Either to the left or right
Punished justly, getting what our deeds deserve
"Save yourself! Save us!"
He did, Jesus did!
He saved all of us
Each crime forgiven by death
Humbly, fearfully, regretful of our sin
We will be with him in paradise
Just ask
Jesus will not forget you truly
He won't forget not a one of us
Just let him


#5 Debra Anderson
Scripture: John 19:28-29


This isn’t the first time you’ve asked for a drink. A year or two ago you asked the same of a lonely woman at a well. That simple first request provided an estranged people with forgiveness – much like today’s. When you asked for a drink they responded with confessions that you were the Messiah – much like I hear a Roman officer saying now. When you asked for a drink from that woman, I remember, that you stayed with her people for two more days. And now it is close to sun down and in my head I hear the echo… “two more days.”

Do you thirst because your body is shutting down, because your heart needs it to pump, your lungs expel the vapor with every shallow breath? Or do you thirst because death is upon you and you’re now beginning to feel that separation from God that would indeed make your soul feel dry? Or do you thirst so that you can have voice enough to say your final words?

You thirst and we’ve given you drink. And if you could repeat yourself you would say, “Come – inherit the kingdom prepared for you. Come.”


#6 Aaron Smith
Scripture: John 19:30


It is finished-
Age old words spoken of what messiah
must do, must be, must suffer
finished in...
words of forgiveness...
cries of lament...
moves of fulfillment...
finished in you.

It is finished-
the suffering of God,
the raged breaths, the free flowing blood, the mockery...
head bowed, now you give up your spirit.
It is finished
so blood and water flow.

It is finished-
your disciples take your body down
wrapped in the shroud and spices of death
laid in a tomb,
and all they can think is
“It is finished.”

The temple has been torn asunder,
and God now bleeds with man.
For this you were born,
To hang and die.
At the right time
You ragingly cried:
“It is finished!”


#7 Kelli Bagby
Scripture: Luke 23:46-49


What? What just happened? Why is the sky dark? Why did the earth tremble?
Jesus? Jesus? He's stopped breathing! How? How could he stop breathing? Is he? Is he...dead? NO!!! NOOO!!! No, Jesus, No.

- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

All hope is gone, all hope is lost, if you, even you, can't beat death, what hope do any of us have?

- Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.

Jesus, my Lord, I need you. I need you to be alive! What will I do without you? To whom will I go? How can I go on? How can I take one more breath?

- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

But I know who you are... you're the Son of God, sent to take away the sins of the world. Because of you I know I am loved, I am redeemed, I am made whole. I know with everything I am that you are truth, I believed you, I still believe you.

- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

I'm just so angry, I could kill someone right now. How could they? How could these animals do this to you? I want revenge, I want justice, Jesus, you deserve justice.

- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

I know, Lord, I know, I should love, I should understand, help me. Help me to have compassion for those that don't know you, that's don't understand what you mean in our lives.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

Oh, they're stubborn, just as I was. Walking in darkness, not understanding you, the Light. If you want, I will go to them; I will convince them that you are the One. For the rest of my life, I dedicate myself to showing this broken world your love, your grace, your hope.

- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

I'm scared, I mean look what they did to you, how much more will they do to me? What if I can't, what if I can't stand up, speak up, push on. What if I crumble in fear? Is it really worth it? Of course, YOU are worth it.

- Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great post. I think people are often too quick to hurry past Good Friday to get to Easter.

It just happens that I posted something in the same spirit - hope you don't mind the link -

Paul