Monday, July 28, 2008

Preaching isn't for Wussies

1 Corinthians 11:1-16

Wow Paul says some strange stuff here...

1 Corinthians 11:10
10"Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels."

1 Corinthians 11:14
14"Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him..."

It is good to wrestle with Scripture. I enjoy it. This is where the growth comes. This is where I believe the Spirit of God speaks. Too many times preachers will run to a commentary like an answer key to a tough passage. Wuzzies! Years ago I wrote to a number of prominent preachers about their preaching styles and preparation. One actually advised reading all of the commentaries you could get your hands on first then moving onto Scripture. Huh? Where does the critical thinking come into play? How can we learn Scripture if we let others chew our food for us?

My first preaching prof likened wrestling with a text to Jacob wrestling with God. I like that! Go to the source and camp out. I have thought for a long time that preachers need to spend more time studying the Bible and than studying books about the Bible. When we run to second sources first we take the easy way out. Not as easy as just bumming another preacher's sermon, but close.

Ohhh, I can hear it now...
"But, I don't have enough time to spend figuring out the meaning on my own."
"But, these other authors are more insightful/smarter than me."
"But, no one knows."
"But, that is what these other books are for."
"But..."
"But..."
"But..."

Don't misunderstand me, I use commentaries, Bible dictionaries, etc. However, I use them after I have labored over a passage first.

Fight with the text. Work at understanding it. Show your dependence on God to reveal himself to you. Do not look for the easy way out.

Even though I do not have to preach this first section of chapter 11, I do get to preach the second. Better figure out the first in order to make sense of the second.

No comments: