Friday, January 2, 2009

May I have this prayer?

I have been thinking about prayer lately. What it is, what it entails and how it works. I have also been reading a little on the subject. Specifically, I have been reading Working the Angles by E.H. Peterson. I have only read one other Peterson book and didn’t get it. But I hear lots of people love his writing, so I thought I would give him another go'round.

Peterson says, “Pastors who imitate the preaching and moral action of the prophets without also imitating the prophets deep praying and worship so evident in the Psalms are an embarrassment to the faith and an encumbrance to the church.”

Wow, that is a full tilt, in your face, don’t-screw-around-with-prayer-warning. This is important stuff!

I have to admit, I have struggle with prayer. Not so much with doing it, but more in making it "work." I hate the ritualistic prayers I pray at dinner . Unfortunately, I am very conscience of what I say because others are listening. My devotional prayers are anemic at best.

While thinking about prayer in general, and my prayers in specifics, I found the perfect way to describe my prayers. I see prayer as a dance. It involves intimacy, trust and connection. When dancing, like prayer, is done well it is emotive, fluid and powerful.



So, if prayer is a dance, than I am the geeky Jr. Higher in the corner dancing with myself (or worse yet, only with my buddies) trying to be M.C. Hammer, a New Kid on the Block or Justin Timberlake, but failing miserably.



Prayer, like dancing, can be painful to watch from the outside and even more pain to realize from the inside.

I want to go from Jr. Higher to Swayze. I want to connect with the Almighty Creator of my soul on deep and meaningful level through which prayer is the only access. Beside, it is an amazing and fearful reality that access to God is possible and simple.

Prayer is an art, a beautiful expression of commitment and love.

Prayers are much easier said than meant.

No comments: