Monday, March 2, 2009

Knowing What They Think

I have come to believe there are two times in one's life when they can honestly know what others think of them. The first is when people find out you have died. Either they will break down in tears or say, "Good I am glad that bastard is dead!" The second is when you leave a job. Either people will say nothing or they will morn your leaving. Here are some comments I heard when I told people I was quitting to be the Teaching Pastor at The Next Level Church in Denver Colorado.

"No, no, no! It took me 14 years to find a boss I liked and now you are leaving."

"The Team will be crushed."

"I don't believe! Nope, I still don't believe it."

"I going to cry."

"You were the last good one around here."

"Good for you! I am glad you are getting out of this place."

"Well, we all knew it was coming. You were either going to go back to church work or
teach somewhere."

"You are the best leader here."

"We are going to miss you."

"But, you are the only one I talk to around here."

"Now who is going to buy us snacks?"

It did not matter who I told or whether or not they went to church or even like Christians, everyone was excited for me and happy to know I was doing what I love.

This makes me believe I was a good person to work with and for.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking "I won't have chip to pick on anymore!" Please have no doubts every person to a man at Target will miss you. Your ability to get the job done, supervise fairly, and have fun all at the same time have been invaluable over the last 3.5 years while I have been working with you. Your presence will be missed. Please Please don't leave me all alone...with jen and michael. At least I have...hmmmm who do I have left...I'll write you when I think about it.

Craig Dodge said...

Also know that people are excited to have you coming to Denver, too! As soon as I found out you would be coming to be our new pastor here at TNL, I had to Google you to find out about who you are and what you're about. The fact that you blog excited me in a way that is irrational. (I also like to blog, a new habit)

I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'll be at Bryan Gray's house on Sunday night to get to meet you for the first time. I look forward to seeing how you fit in and help lead with our great core of pastors. The fact that they spoke glowingly of you is enough for me to be excited.

I'll be praying for you that God works in your new role here, and am thankful to him that he has brought you to us. Look forward to meeting you...
-Craig Dodge

Anonymous said...

WELCOME to TNL. I'm in Craig's homegroup, and like him, I found you thru google. We hope you love it here. I look forward to hearing from you on Tuesdays.

Again, Welcome to TNL!
James