Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The End of Christian America


I learned of this article from Dan Kimball's blog and was pleasantly surprised!

I was not surprised by the main point of the article (I all ready knew that), but by the statement, "Then came the point he (Albert Mohler) could not get out of his mind: while the unaffiliated have historically been concentrated in the Pacific Northwest, the report said, "this pattern has now changed, and the Northeast emerged in 2008 as the new stronghold of the religiously unidentified."

What made me smiles is not that Northeasterners are supposedly going to hell at a faster rate than anyone else, but that the time, effort and love we spent in Portland and in being in community at Evergreen made and is making a difference in a place was once called, "the most unchurched part of the nation."

Now, the change in unaffiliated residents of the Northwest is not solely attributed to me or Evergreen, nor is it limited to only Portland. But, I feel a sense of usefulness to have severed at Evergreen and to have worked in conjugation with other churches in the area to live out the Kingdom of God in a faithful and transformative way.

I hope to say the same of Denver.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I just heard these authors on NPR today-about how God is very much alive:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102880913