Sunday, December 5, 2010

A One Night Stand With Jesus

In a couple days I will teach from the biggest platform I have even been given.  I mean this literally, the stage at the Gothic is huge. But also I will teach in front of more people than ever in my life.  In the past I have taught in front of 400 or so people, but we are aiming to have 600-700 (or more) at the Gothic Tuesday night.  

The other unique dynamic at the Gothic that night will be the amount of people who are interested in the charitable cause (Charity:Water) TNL is fronting, but not so interested in the spirituality or faith of TNL.  This makes the night particularly significant.

Knowing this, as the teaching guy I can approach the night and my role from a few directions:
  1. I have a large audience with a good mix of people not in the church, not Christ followers who are not religious or spiritual.  I can take this opportunity to lay down the full gospel message.  In short, I could evangelize the crowd at the Gothic since I have their attention.  I have one shot to get it right and get these people into heaven. I could full on channel Graham, Whitefield or Edwards.  This kind of rare opportunity cannot be squandered.  These people need Jesus and they need him tonight
  2.  Considering the same audience, I could make the event mainly about the charitable cause and sprinkle in some Jesus for spice and flavor.  It would be easy to make people feel guilty about letting this cause go unfunded.  It would be easy to make people feel good about their choice to give.  The night could be an emotional ride.  Soft peddling Jesus would be a way to still act like a church, but make sure our donors are not turned off and our financial goal get met.
But is there was another way? A way to be faithful to our God and Savior, without wielding the gospel as a weapon? A way to create long term interaction and engagement?

  • What if my job was not to explain the whole gospel message to this crowd, but it was to invite their questions and investigation of the gospel.  I would not try to satisfy their need or thirst by providing a fire hose for them to drink from, but to point them to the water (no pun intended). What if my tact was to open a relationship with these people who need Jesus, but to do it in a way to draws them in and not pushes them away.  To be winsome, alluring and subversive. This would be more about them coming to the end of themselves and still wanting more.  About them running out of answers, options and ideas, but still feeling as if there is more to be known and understood.  What if my job was not to end their spiritual journeys that night with explanations, answers and solutions, but to start their journey with questions, inquests and inquires?
This third way is more of a commitment to a lasting relationship, than a one night stand with the Jesus. 

2 comments:

Craig Dodge said...

I like the thought of you as a subversive agent!

Mike said...

Where's the "Like" button?