Friday, March 30, 2007

Death By Theology...

I am going to start thinking about and implementing some ideas that help will Evergreen be a community that better brings one another along in the knowledge of God and Scripture. In light of this I have endeavored to read some theology, about 1300 pages of it. It also happens to be mainly written by the same person. So here is the break down and order:

1. Created for Community by Stanley Grenz- 335 pages

2. Theology for the People of God by Grenz (again)- 691 pages (holy crap!)

3. Beyond Foundationalism by Grenz (again!) and John R. Franke- 298 pages (a walk the park!)

If you have read any of these ,let me know what you think. I have #3 for class a while back, but I want to re-read it a little slower this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Created for Community I found pretty basic and an easy read. I doubt it will pose much trouble or really broaden any horizons. I used it as a recommended text when I taught "Faith for the Future," a REL 101 class for undergrads.

I haven't read Theology for the People of God but I have read Beyond Foundationalism. I really like Beyond, though I wish it would have been longer and more in depth. You just get the feeling that their kind of bouncing off this stuff like a fun house and not really exploring deeply. Regardless, I think it is a great starting place.

You could follow beyond with some stuff from James K.A. Smith and Kevin Vanhoozer. I feel like they really try and push father than Grenz and Franke in Beyond.

Overall, it sounds like a whole bunch of fun and I would love to hear what sort of things bubble up from the experience.

Chip Anderson said...

"Created" is light. I keeping saying to Grenz, "say more!" I know he will in People of God.

I have wanted to read Vanhoozer. Particularly, "Is there a Text in this Class." I think that is the one. Or was it another. Oh well, I will remember when I look at his stuff.

Thanks for the tip!

Sarah said...

Hey Chip, Can I borrow Beyond Foundationalism when you are done? Brian MacLaren told me to read it. :)