Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Ease of Ministry

Matthew 11:28-30
28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I recently came across a pastor's thoughts on this set of verses. This is the second time I have heard the same application made from these verses.

The first was while I was in seminary. It came from a professor who was a great practitioner of Christ's love, Dr. Thom Wolfe. Dr. Tom (or simply "bro", you just have to know him) delivered the single best 3 hour lecture in my whole academic career (it was titled, "The Most High God"). He also was the pastor who revitalized a dying church called, "Church on Brady" named after the street it was on in Los Angeles, California. 30 or so years later that church has a new pastor and a new name... the pastor is Erwin McManus and the church is Mosaic. I digress...

The second place I came across a similar application was in a book on prayer from a well know Calvary Chapel Pastor. Jon Courson was relating these verses to the tabernacle and the priest's cloths.

Here is the quote:
Now the court yard was fenced in by linen curtains. According to Ezekiel 44, linen was the material of the priest's garments. Why? Because the Lord said that priests were to wear nothing of wool, nothing that caused them to sweat. I like that! There's not to be sweat in ministry or service. Anything we do in serving the Lord should be enjoyable and cool. If it's burdensome, obligatory, or heavy: if it causes you to perspire and worry, its not what you're called to do. "My burden is easy and my load is light," Jesus said. This is not only relates to ministry, but also coming into the presence of God."
Wow, ministry is to be easy, without stress, strain or worry? I'm sorry, but as one of my pastor friends put it, "Hasn't this guy read Paul?"

Now, both men who made this allusion to Matthew 11 are godly pastors, but I think they missed the mark. I think Jesus was talking about how, unlike the Pharisees, the relationship with God that he was offering was full of grace, mercy and love. Inherent in being yoked to Christ is freedom, forgiveness and strength for the journey.
Luke 11:46
46He said, “Yes, and I can be even more explicit. You’re hopeless, you religion scholars! You load people down with rules and regulations, nearly breaking their backs, but never lift even a finger to help.
The Pharisees never offered any real help or hope for the human condition. I will stick with a quote attributed to Spurgeon. It goes something like:
If one can do anything else other than preach, do it.
Ministry is difficult, it is wearisome and a burden, but not one that will not crush the minister. Ministry is likewise joyful, refreshing and exciting. I believe it takes both side of the coin to fully realize and appreciate the power of God working through us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good thoughts man, and a hearty AMEN