Saturday, April 14, 2007

2554 Days

Seven years ago today my Dad died.

I remember every emotion I felt that day.

Deb was in SoCal. for a seminary class and I was at home in NorCal. with Jake when my Dad was admitted into the hospital. This was no big deal, because he had been admitted so many times before.

Dad had develop some gang green in one of his big toes and it was most likely going to be amputated. This is not uncommon for diabetics who's kidneys are failing and have been on dialysis.

But as the day progress, the gang green started to speared. Soon
he was going to lose his foot, then part of his leg. The ironic part now
is I had a harder time dealing with the thought of him losing
a limb and I did with losing him.

As the day turned into night, his body started to shut down. My Mom called and wanted me to speak with the doctors. Knowing what was coming the family, with my blessing, decided that no heroic action would be taken to prolong Dad's life.

I hung up the phone and fall to the floor sobbing. I knew my Dad would die that night. I called my best friend and left a message telling him what was happening. I grab Jake, my keys and a suit case of clothes and headed for SoCal. Little did I know that less then a half hour after I left, my
Dad was gone.

I never had the chance to say a final good bye. I did not get to tell him I loved him. I never had the chance to bless him before he met his Creator.

Seven years ago I lost my father, my friend, my teacher, my mentor, my guide and I miss him everyday.

I love you Dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of your dad and your family on March 31st, Palm Sunday (and said a prayer for you). Seven years ago, Palm Sunday was on April 14th. In fact, I think of your family every Palm Sunday for this reason and what a great week of promises it is. I know we don't talk much, or see each other nearly enough, but I think of you lots and miss you more.

Anonymous said...

Opps, April 1st.