Saturday, September 20, 2008

Disturbing Stat #2

Jeremiah 20:9
9But if I say I’ll never mention the Lord or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!

1 Corinthians 9:16
16Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!

I have several concerns with the static posted below:

1. That Pastors and church leaders have such a low view of themselves they feel they can’t do anything else.
2. A underlining belief that pastoring is so easy a person who can’t do anything else can at least can be a Pastor.
3. The thought that Pastors have so specialized themselves they fit into a unique category or class of people so out of the norm they are no earthly good.
4. The belief that the skills and knowledge needed to be a Pastor or leader in a church are not transferable to any other situation or circumstance in life.
5. A “call” to ministry is not what it used to be.

A quote usually attributed to Spurgeon goes something like this, “If you can do anything other than preach, do it.”

Here is my advice to preachers who want to leave ministry, “Get out!” Make room for those with a passion for the ministry. Stop lying to your church, to God and to yourself about what you are doing. Really, if you want out, you are not fooling anyone. Your church, God and you know you want out and it is only a matter of time until you are moved out under some not so pretty circumstances.

Stop thinking the “problem” is with your particular portion of the church community, because it is not. The problem is with you! And remember you will also be part of the next church community you get a job at (yes, a job, just a paycheck, a means to an end). Ministry is not a more important passion, calling or endeavor than a stay-at-home-mom or a business executive or bridge operator, but it does require those who fulfill the roles of ministry leadership are lead by God to do so.

Don’t get me wrong, pastors who are tired, burned out or have made a poor decision to enter into ministry are valuable to God and to the larger community. Life can still be lived to the fullest just maybe not how you planned. Take the clues you are sending yourself and find peace, security and hope for the future somewhere outside vocational ministry. If you have backed yourself into a place where you need to “re-tool” then do it. Find what you are passionate about and find a place to live that out.

This statistic makes me feel said and bit angry.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I can see missionary/ministry types fitting in this too-

Anonymous said...

Chip.........I love those verses you quoted! Another favorite of mine is Isaiah 52:7 "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'"
cindy

Dan said...

I agree with what you say. I wonder though if some church communities don't need a little bit of a rebuke for driving pastors out. So often a congregation expects their pastor to be "on" 24/7, I think that would damage the spirit of just about anyone.

Anonymous said...

Chip--enjoyed reading your blog. I am not entirely sure this stat hits on calling or choice getting in or need to get out. Sometimes it IS the church and it can drive you to want out.

I have been there. So have you. Sometimes it takes a little while for the scars to heal.

and...since we have spent so much time and energy preparing for our work in a very narrow field, we do feel less than qualified for anything that will pay the bills.

It is a tough position to be in.

Derrick
derrick@visitcornerstone.net