Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bible Translations



I am thinking about switching the Bible translation that I use for everyday use. Normally, I use the NASB, but an finding that over the years Scripture has not stuck in my head. The reason for this is partly do to the NASB and partly do to me. A few years ago I began to understand I am concrete learner who has difficulty grasping abstract concepts. So, having a translation of the Bible that is clearer when read is going to aid me more than one that is ridged. I have valued the accuracy over the readability, but now and looking for an everyday translation that has the best of both worlds.

When I "study" the Bible I use a multiple of translations for comparison and insight. So I am not limiting myself to one translation. I am hoping to land on a version I can read, understand and memorize more easily.

I have heard a lot about the new ESV (English Standard Version), but do not need all the study tools in it. Also, it costs from $50 to $240!

The other Bible I am looking at is not yet finished. When I was completing seminary one of my professors (David Alan Black) was on the translation committee for a new version of the Bible. As a gift the entire graduating class was given a "preview" copy of the New Testament in this new translation (which I have come to use on a regular basis). The Old Testament is still being worked on. This version is called the International Standard Version (ISV). The ISV is hoping to capture the accuracy of the NASB with even more readability than the NIV.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I really like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I'm not sure why, I just like the way that one "feels." I have heard good things about the ESV too. I might have an extra one, if you want me to look.

Also, why are they all the "standard" Bible? I think I want something that exceeds the standard.

Dan said...

From http://allthingschurchplanting.blogspot.com/

Reformation ESV Study Bible

Click here to make a donation of any amount to Ligonier ministries. In return you will receive a free Reformation ESV Study Bible, which retails for $69.99 (while supplies last).

Maybe save you some money?

Debra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.