Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Uninformed Voters

Through this election my oldest son has been interested in the race for President. Even as far back as the primaries Jacob has been noticing political commercials and signs. Early on he clued into the fact that Portland did not have many McCain signs, but a whole bunch of Obama signs in front yards. He watched some of the VP debate and liked it. He regularly asks us who we are going to vote for.

For some reason Jacob has locked on to McCain as his choice. Don't think it is because he over hears Mom and Dad discussing politics around the house, because we don't! I don't even know who or what Debra votes for or against. There has been something Jacob has picked up on that make him favor McCain.

One night at dinner, I decide to quiz Jacob on his political rationals for McCain. I asked, "So why would you vote for McCain?" He could not give me a reason. I asked "What do you know about his views, beliefs, and policies?" Jake mentioned voted McCain voted against Wall Street 100 times! He regurgitated a commercial! "Those are a good source of trustworthy insight and information" I thought. I explained to him you want to choose a President based on leadership abilities, experience and solutions to issues and one who understands to how the best plan for our nation, despite their party affiliations.

In light of this, I flipped the question around and asked, "What is it you don't like Obama?" The only thing he could point to was an off hand comment made by Debra in the van one day. That is it! No real information for or against his biases. My son would be a completely uniformed voter (with good reason, he is only 9 years old).

So, when I came across this clip from the Howard Stern show it make me wonder, "How many adult voters are as uninformed politically as my 9 year old?"


Now, I could care less about color. I believe there is only one race, the Human Race, but this is crazy. People are not paying attention.

Get a voter guide! Read it. Study it! Prayer about it! Know what you are doing when you vote (either way).

(P.S. If you listen to the longer version of this clip you will find they did the same thing to a McCain supporter too. It cuts both way! Just watch out for a few F-bombs. It is satellite radio after all.)

No comments: