Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Story of Stealing and NewFound Freedom

Another story from Tuesday night...

"I wanted to give you a little update on something. Last night your message was really hard for me. I have been dealing with the guilt of stealing from two long time friends for a long time. About 10 years ago I was a nanny for two different families and I stole money from both of them. Since then, I have watched their kids grow up and two of the girls were even the flower girls in my wedding. Needless to say, I am very close to these families and see them in person every so often to this day. When you asked us to go repent for what we have stolen it was like God punched me in the face and said "See! I have been putting this on your heart for 10 years to go confess what you did and ask for forgiveness, so GO DO IT NOW!" when you told us to do that last night my stomach turned to knots and I knew it was finally time to face the music of what I had done to these people who are my "friends". So when I got home from church I sat down and wrote them both letters. I guess I should have tried to tell them in person but I was already ashamed enough as it was. So I wrote both of the families letters telling them that I stole from them, asking for their forgiveness, and letting them know how horrible I felt for betraying their trust and friendship the way I did. I have never told a soul on earth that I stole from them so this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I'm so ashamed of myself for stealing. Especially because I love their families so much. I also put a hundred dollar bill in each one of the letters. I mailed them out today so they should be receiving them soon. I have no idea what the future holds...if they will be mad, relieved that I confessed, disappointed, or just plain shocked. I'm really nervous and every time I think about the fact that they will be opening those letters in a few days I get sick to my stomach. I don't feel much relief or like the guilt has been lifted..only shame and sadness. This might seriously damage my relationship with these two families and that makes me so distraught.


Well, sorry to write a book, but you said you wanted to hear the updates if people did what you asked. Overall I'm glad I sent those letters of confession and I really hope that they can find it in their hearts to forgive me and still have a relationship with me. I guess only time will tell. Thank you for pushing me to my limit last night. Even though I did this out of guilt, I know, without a doubt, it was the right thing to do."

No comments: