Saturday, February 23, 2008

Since you asked...

A while back I sent a resume to a church on the right coast that was looking for a pastor. Now, I hate sending out resumes, but I hate the "process" that follows even more.

So, somewhere along the "application process," I quit playing the game.

Me:
John,

Please withdraw my name from your list of candidates for the position of Pastor of Community and Discipleship at #%$#^% Community Church.

Chip Anderson



#%$#^% Community Church:

Chip,

We are sorry to hear of your withdrawal of your name from our list of candidates. If there was anything related to the application process which was a part of your decision we would certainly like to know if you have any suggestions for improvement. In any case, we wish you the very best in your search and pray that God will lead you to just the right position for you and Debra.

In Christ,

John


Me:
Dear John,

Everything thing about the “application process” seemed so impersonal: the one email I received simply said, “Please see the attached,” the form letter used my legal name and not the name I use everyday and there was a lack of interest in me as a person. All of this contributed to this distant feeling. There was nothing personal about this process. There was no call to put a voice with a name, there was no information about the process itself, no, “Hey tell me your story. What makes you tick? What are your passions?” This is rather ironic to me since your church apparently values community so much that you are looking for a “Pastor of Community.”

Don’t get me wrong I know where you are coming from. I have walked in your shoes. You have a whole congregation of people waiting for you to find a person. They are asking every week, if not more often, about your process. You have a room full of people on your search committee who have families, jobs and lives outside of being a search committee. They are busy people. You have a stack of resumes to plow through, references to check, and questionnaires to send and receive. Looking for the right leader is a daunting task. I would hope in the future your team would seek out ways to infuse their personalities, their passion for God and their church and their love for people into the search for your new Pastor.

Honestly, with things feeling so impersonal, corporate and sterile, the questionnaire you sent seemed more like an assignment with a due date than an exploration of the possibility of partnering together for the purpose of living out God’s kingdom. In the end, I just lost interest in filling out the questionnaire. This served as a sign to me that I am most likely not the right person for #%$#^% Community Church, so I withdrew.

God’s blessing on your search,

Chip


#%$#^% Community Church:

nothing



Grrrrr, there has to be a better way of doing this!

No comments: