Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Religious Leader or Pop Icon

I am not Roman Catholic so I don't truly understand the status of the Pope. Than again, I have never understand people who are star struck by celebrities. Deep done I am an egotist of my own sort, but to be venerated and revered (no I don't like the title Rev.) is lost on me.

Do people calmer to see the Pope because he is the Vicar of Christ on earth or because he is famous? This is not a poke to the HRCC, but an honest question. Are people hoping a miracle will happen because they have seen, been touched by or have taken a picture of the Pope?

I understand the need for security, he is a world leader of millions of people, but to tour around like a superstar, I just don't get it. I have attended churches in So. California where the pastor is a celebrity within the Christian community as much as anyone in Hollywood. I once heard a story of a man who always sat in the front row of the mega church I attended in order to guard the preacher. It was rumored among some that he even carried a gun in case someone rushed the platform! Wow!

At what point do/should religious leaders take ownership of there "status" and seek to curtail it? John the Baptizer said and did what was needed to bring attention to Jesus and deflect attention away from himself (John 3:30). I think it is the job of all Christ followers (leaders or laity) to reflect Jesus and raise him above all in the minds of other people. If this means limiting ourselves, then so be it.

How does a pastor avoid believing his own press clippings?
Does this ego trip contribute to the often heard of "moral failures" common among church leaders ?
Is notoriety always a bad within the church?
What forms of accountability will help a pastor hold this perception in check?

1 comment:

Draco said...

You are popular or not.........some are popular, not notorious, because of their sweetness. Christ was sweet....so are may Christian leaders including the Pope.......some are bitter like John the Baptist. Yes, I said it. I love JB, but his vinegar approach pushed him to the end. People love the Pope b/c of his office, our sole link to Christ. Everything else is mumbo jumbo. Laterz