Saturday, June 21, 2008

Love is an act...

There is some thought among homileticians (those who teach homiletics or preaching) that you only quote someone else when they can say something better or with more clarity than you. Otherwise, don’t bother.

Today, I had one of those moments where someone said something I have been taught and believed, but he said it better.

When Debra and I were dating we hit a bump in our relationship. Well, I actually hit the bump she just felt the pain. My wise father knew something was wrong and asked what the problem was. I confessed to him that I was not sure if Debra was the right woman for me. I was unsure if I loved. I was confused and reluctant about our relationship. My dad asked, “Have you tried to love her?” Naturally, I was confused because I thought love just happened between two people, if it didn’t’ than it wasn’t love. So, I responded to my dad, “ No I had not tried to love her.”

At that point he went to one of his favorite books in the Bible and retold me the story of Ruth and Boaz. He stopped at the point where the Boaz is laying on the threshing room floor sleeping and Ruth sneaks in, lays down and uncovers his feet (chp. 3). In doing this Ruth was reminding Boaz of his responsibility to her as her Kinsmen Redeemer, while making it know she was willing to marry him. Boaz responds positively to Ruth and the rest is incredible history. With out dragging the story on my dad encouraged me to cover Debra’s feet. What he wanted me to do was to make a conscience, intentional effort to love Debra despite my confusion, my hesitation or “feelings.” I did and we have been married almost 14 years!

The other day I wrote this to a friend after talking about marriage, “Know you will never be "ready" to get married. You never have enough money, you are never sure, you are never settled enough. However, when you find someone who you truly love and value, you just determine to get married in spite of being unsure and not ready. You have to commit to the other person that you both are going figure out this marriage thing together and enjoy the journey while you go! You only know how to be married by actually getting married. You learn in the process. There is no other way to figure it out.”

So, today when Voddie Baucham was talking about the difference between biblical love and the Greco-Roman myth of love he said, “Love is an act of the will, accompanied by emotion which leads to action of the behalf of its object.”

Love is an act of will, not led by or driven by emotion, but accompanied by them, which in turns motivates us to express our love in action towards our beloved.”

Good stuff. That’ll preach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.