Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wrestling with the Text

In seminary I had a preaching professor (John Shouse) who compared Jacob’s wrestling with God (Gen 32) with the task of interpreting scriptural texts. He made it clear that seeking to understand the text in order to preach it was hard work.

This past week I found two different sets of people willing to do the hard work for me. Neither of these groups was asked for help, but nonetheless they wanted to do the heavy lifting for me by offering their opinnions.

As I was studying to teach out of Matthew 25:31-46, I found the meaning of the passage hinging on a couple words: “nations” in verse 32 and “brothers” in verse 40.

The questions that would swing the meaning of the passage were, “Who are the nations?” and “To whom does the word bothers refer?”

Those willing to cheat me out of my exegetical workout provided the answers to these questions.

The first helpers were Walvoord and Zuck in the Bible Knowledge Commentary. Without offering any alternative options they peg the nations as Gentiles. “These are all people, other than Jews…” (pg. 81) This interpretation plays into their Dispensational view of the end times. Their view also colors the rest the passage and creates the meaning of the text to be that God’s acceptance of non Jewish people is based on how they care and support the Jews who live through the Tribulation period. Since the passage is clearly talking about the end of time with eternal punishment and eternal life being doled to the goats and sheep, I can’t seem to think how the Jews would be in a separate group (not sheep or goats) escaping this final judgment.

Thanks guys, but I need my own time on the mat trying to straighten out the text.

The other bunch of helpers comes not in the form of commentary where people get to give their opinions, but in a translation of scripture. The Today’s International Version, a gender inclusive translation, allows me (and other readers) to be lazy and thinks for us by expanding the meaning of the word “brothers” in verse 40 to “brothers and sisters.” They do this not because they are seeking the meaning of the word, but to forward their philosophy on biblical translations. It also seems to automatically rule out other possible alternatives meanings a well.

The answer to the question, “to whom does the word brothers refer?” has four possible options, maybe even five if you not Roman Catholic:
1. Jews like Jesus
2. The 12 disciples
3. Followers of Jesus (who we call today Christians)
4. Those people who are in the situations mentioned in verses 35-36.
5. Jesus' biological brothers

I think what the TNIV has done is made the selection of #4 for the reader. Now, this is the answer I settled on after examining the other three first, no one made a case for #5. However, cases ranging from weak to strong can be made #1-3. As a matter of fact, D.A. Carson in his Expositor's Bible Commentary on Matthew sides with #2.

Again, I am grateful for the offered help, but I need to sweat it out in order to stay in good hermeneutical shape. Otherwise, I might get lazy and dependent on others who are willing to think for me, instead of thinking for myself.

Watch out! There are no easy short cuts. Work up your own sweat.

“Do the hard work of wrestling with the text, like Jacob wrestled with God.” Thanks Dr. Shouse!

No comments: