Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thoughts on Shared Leadership #2

Being the new guy to a team that uses a shared approached to leadership, I have had to learn a few things.

Before coming to TNL I worked as a retail manager for 50 billion (with a “B”) dollar a year company that was all about leadership. It was common to hear, “We can hire a monkey to do this job, but a monkey can’t lead, so we hired you.”

Leadership was a big deal at this company. Leaders always were working to maximize strength and minimize weaknesses. Leaders at all levels were to have mentors and be mentors while plotting individual development plans for growth and advancement. We had several key leadership characteristics we tried to cultivate in ourselves and our staffs. It was clear that the answerer to almost every success or problem was “leadership.” Those leaders who distinguished themselves got rewarded and promoted. And on and on it went.

Coming into a shared leadership environment, I had to figure out how I would lead at TNL. How was I going to lead without taking over or telling the other Core Pastors what they needed to do? How was I going to give up power and allow others to lead in areas I think are crucial? How are we going to work together as a four headed monster to provide direction to this church community?

It took some time and thinking, but here is what I came up with:

Shared leadership does not create a leadership vacuum. A team model of leadership does not mean no one leads, but that we all lead. I don't have to stop leading. The team collaborates, opinionates and prognosticates together in order to set our directions and vision.

Shared Leadership requires the eviction of ego. There can be no power struggles. There can be no jockeying for position. We are a team and we work together, regardless if it concerns the creation of new ventures or cleaning the offices. We are four people who make up one role. There is no room for selfish expenditures, childish tantrums or egotistical delusions of grandeur.

Share Leadership expects leaders to lead as they were designed. A team model does not mean I stop being who God created me to be. It does not mean I have to change how I lead or reinvent myself. I am uniquely gifted and I have to bring all my skills, gifts and talents to the common table holding nothing back. The expectation is the other will do the same.

Shared Leadership obligates leaders to do their jobs. People get hired for jobs because they are well suited for them. If they weren’t they would not get hired. Neither would they get hired if there was not a need for them to fill. Joint leadership does not mean people have to acquiesce to everyone else’s ideas, plans or motives nor does it means I make coworkers shoulder my load of responsibilities either. Leaders are hired to do a job and the expectation, on both fronts, is they will to do that job.

Shared Leadership is being open to new possibilities. In order to not grow stale or stagnate, a team leadership model must challenge each other with new innovations, perspective and ideas. Since we tend towards complacency, because it’s comfortable, we need others to push or pull us into areas we would have not gone on our own. With multiple people released to speak into our areas of responsibility new plans, improvements and advances can be made.

I'm am still learning.

2 comments:

Dan said...

this is awesome...i love the concept

David-FireAndGrace said...

Finally, someone that seems to be hearing from God (and reading the word)!

I have personally, always wondered why there are few Ephesians 4:11 churches?

It is the shared leadership concept in action. It allows each of us to lead and co-lead as the Lord has designed; relying on others to do their part while we excell at ours.

Great insight.

David
www.fireandgrace.com