Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Hey, I'm talking to you!"


Lately, I have been doing some thinking about “calling.” 

You know that voice or feeling from God that leads and prompts you in a certain direction.  It could be the noticed expectation that God has something in store for you.  A longing.  Something drawing you down a certain path or into an unplanned or unexpected journey.

That, almost physical badge, which gives us the right to do the absurd, weird and even reckless with our lives “in the name of God.”  The trump card we can wield as validation in the face of criticism and questions.

Calling is a biblical idea, although I am not sure we understand it correctly.  Jesus called disciples, apostles and others:

·         He called to Peter and Andrew, “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”
·         He called Matthew the tax collector saying, “Follow me.”
·         He called the Scribe to get his priorities straight, “Follow me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead.”
·         He called Phillip (and Nathaniel) according to John’s gospel, “He found Philip. And Jesus said to him, ‘Follow me.’”
·         He called Saul his, “chosen instrument.”

At its core “calling” is about obedience, not license.  It’s not about success (just ask Jeremiah). It’s not about comfort. It’s not about rationality (“Oh, I get that!”). It’s not even about ability? 

I often question God about me calling, “Why do you make me do this!?"  "If you want me to do this, why don’t you make me good at it?”I confessed to a friend this week, “I feel confident in very little I do related to my calling.” 

In the end, God does not care about my level of ability, comfort, success or even confidence.  The only concern to God is my obedience and faithfulness. I have to believe if I am faithful and obedient to his calling, then he will take of the rest. He will work through my inability, provide peace in discomfort, change my understanding of success and cause me to be confident in him.

“Follow me” he says. That is all he asks.

No comments: