Sunday, February 21, 2010

Human Nature and Homosexuality

Recently, I was asked my opinion on a news article where a local pastor described his churches openness to the GLBT community with these closing thoughts, "Our position is not one of lenience, but a matter of justice,"..." It's not that we don't acknowledge the reality of sin.  It's not a sin to be gay or act in accordance with your nature."

Here was my response...
The question of our nature has to be asked not in context of “heterosexuals vs. homosexuals,” (because they are too limiting) but in larger context of the image of God. Our original nature, our correct and true nature and identity is as children of God. However, we are fractured icons of our Creator/Father God.  We are all mutated versions of what was once perfect.  So, to “act in accordance with our nature” is exactly what God wants and why Christ came to die. I honestly think once we understand God's love for us (we give this lip service, but I don’t think we really comprehend it) and that he wants to see us return to his image we will have a profoundly different understanding of God’s discipline (Heb.12 ff). 
Although, Christ followers are in a process of transformation, becoming for like Jesus, we still have to deal with the fact that sin has infected our true identify. God did not create us in conflict with his nature, good pleasure or image. Sin is the cancerous growth alters our reflection of God. Yes, sin is now a reality of our DNA (literally or metaphorically, I am not sure), but it was not the intention “in the beginning.” So, I am not interested in accommodating, explaining, reconciling or indulging my brokenness (eg. my sin), but am clamoring and seeking wholeness through Christ. I want to see humanity regain its imago dei and begin to replicate the character of God we were created to echo.

Here is a thought, what is the point of reconciling one's sexuality this side of eternity?  In the end there will be no sex in heaven or hell. Say someone either becomes comfortable with their same sex attraction or truly changes and goes straight, great (either way), but what have they gained?  A longer perspective is in order, one that sees past this rotating mud ball, into the eternal desire of the Almighty.  Please don’t think I am trivializing the pain and struggle of those who deal daily with this issue, I am not. My hearts breaks for them (and I tearing up now and am a little pissed at God over their torment). I think the bigger question is, “Where does one find their identity?” Do we find it in an earth bound concept (such as single, married, gay, straight, Black, White, La Raza, rich, poor, Chinese, Jamaican, the list can go on) or in our true nature as God’s creation? Are we trying to reclaim the imago dei in our humanity and earthly existence or are we just trying to make the best of our broken humanity? I am pushing for the former. Yes, it is harder, more frustrating and bewildering, but in the long run much more satisfying, complete and honoring to God.

In the end, we all struggle with something, some with their sexuality, me with my lust and others with anger, theft or hypocrisy.  The hard work is fighting against our proclivity to allow these things to define us or actually to redefine us into something we were never meant to be.

I guess I am hoping the “macro” or “meta” discussion here transcends the usual debate and issues seeking a deeper understanding of human value and worth.  This is why I pushing the imago dei, identity and an eternal perspective motifs.

No comments: