Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lent Journal Entry #28: 40 Hour Retreat

Psalm 103:2–5
"Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
who forgives all your sins,
heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things…”

“Who satisfies your desires with good things…” hmmmm.  I have desires.  I have wants and perceived needs. 

When they arise, where do I go to have those needs met?
What is my response to those desires? 
Do I stop and reflect on the origins of these desires?
Do I ask why they have arisen or what is causing this desire to show up now? 

Or do I simply find the easiest and quickest way to meet my desires?

This does not mean my desires are bad, evil or selfish. They could be, but they might not be. The desires will most likely find their way out through the poor choices I make because these are the easiest and quickest kind of choices to make.

God says in Psalm 103:5 he will meet our desires with good alternatives, not empty calorie substitutes or not with surrogates which are not in my best interest. But with those that are good, wholesome, satisfying, productive and meaningful.

He meets my short comings with his goodness. He provides what I need and offers ways, roads and directions to lead me closer to him and not away.  God offers good because he is good and he is good to us.

No comments: