Friday, May 18, 2007

Thoughts on Preaching

I am preaching on James 3 this week. Here are some thoughts and feelings floating through my head:

  • I am constantly trying to find ways in which I can convey the excitement and nutriment I receive from preparing for a sermon to those who will hear me deliver the sermon.
  • I love to explain and teach, but sometimes I don't have to because the passage is clear enough on its own. When this happens I feel a little lost and am not sure of my place in the "preaching event."
  • I long for a sermon preparation format, regiment or routine (maybe this is the problem) that lets the Holy Sprint move freely through me. I feel I can produce sermon manuscripts that are confining.
  • I love details...almost to a fault. I sometimes miss the big picture. I can't see the forest for the bark.
  • I tend to write in propositions, statements of fact, rather than in evocative language.
  • I never feel more purposeful than when preaching God's word.
  • I struggle with sermon preparation and delivery, but love the fight.
  • I know that I am most attacked, spiritually, befor preaching.
  • I am nervous every time I preach.
  • I am more concerned about being wrong in my understanding and interpretation of Scripture than I am my "delivery."
  • I believe the purpose of preaching is life change (for me and those who listen). My quest is to understand how my presentations of God's word can aid in this endeavor.

No comments: