Monday, June 16, 2008

A New Way To Get To Work


So, I am officially a Portlander. I rode my bike to work today. It was a cool experience. I got out to huff and puff and sweat all over. It felt good. I was more awake at work and did not feel so sluggish. It was also good to know I was saving gas and saving money. I felt like giving the finger to every gas station I passed, one to O.P.E.C. and one to BIG OIL!

I think this is pretty good accomplishment considering my ride: a Schwinn Jaguar Cruiser with only 7 gears (the ones in the back) and biggest set of handle bars allowed by Oregon State law! Yes, that is a picture of my bike!

Here are some stats from my first trip:

Average speed: Going 10.8 mph, Coming 8.8 mph (more hills on the way home)
Top Speed: 26.8 mph (don’t be silly, of course I was going down hill, did you see the picture!)
Distance: going 7.74 miles, Coming 6.59 (I had a little “detour” getting to work.)
Time: Going about 45 minutes, Coming about 50 minutes.
Money saved by not driving to work: about $3.

As long as the weather is good I will try and do this a couple times a week. I will have to see how my legs feel in the morning. I may not be able to walk!

O well, I will live.

6 comments:

devin said...

great job chip! i can't think of a better time to ride then right now...after 10 months of winter!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Chip! I hope the weather holds, and you don't get going too much faster down that one hill. :)

Chip Anderson said...

The problem with the hill is that I have to go up it first!

Aaron Stewart said...

Way to go dude! You're wearing a helmet during those break neck speeds right? :)

chris leonardo said...

right on man! It only gets better from here...

chris leonardo said...

p.s. Burning calories not fuel REALLY adds up.