Sunday, May 30, 2010

Teaching Without A Net

In the effort to achieve two things last week, I taught for the for time (EVER) without any notes!  I took nothing with me when I walked up on the platform that was even without a music stand, lectern or podium.

Initially, I was hoping to create a smaller, more open and transparent feeling in the room, since TNL is in a questions and response series.  I wanted to keep alive the conversational, give and take feeling from the preceding week's gathering. Over all, I want this kind of feeling to be TNL's posture and not just a gesture (read Andy Crouch to know the difference) or gimmick we use.

I was also hoping to discover some insights into how to shorten talk/sermon prepararion. I think this is going to take a lot more experimenting with to know if it will really accomplishing this goal.

However, I had no way of knowing the profound impact teaching without notes would have on the community itself.  I just thought it was going aid me in my delivery and organization.  Little did I know it would  impack the community like a ton of bricks.

Some people where a little uneasy, because they know something was different but could not figure it out.  Some picked it up right away. Others picked up on exactly what I was hoping for: transparency, honesty and and a feel of intimacy. Still others thought could unfold the entire talk to others afterwards

Out of all the comments made no one had anything negative to say.  All in all, it seemed the no notes technique yielded more fruit than I would have expected.  Granted, I did this one time.  More time is need to see if this was a fluke or if there was some other reason for evening (eg. the Spirit of God!!!).

Even though it was not the easiest thing for me to do, nor was it as "smooth" as I would have liked, I will continue to work on this type of talk delivery.

(I am not sure if it will translate with only the audio, but here is the talk from Tuesday anyway.)

1 comment:

Mike said...

I doubt that your "success" was a fluke-that Spirit of God thing might have some merit.